Saturday, February 19, 2011

Endometriosis

     Not long after my daughter was born, my doctor discovered that I had Endometriosis. If you want to learn more about this condition, please click on the link.  Approximately 1 out of 10 women have endometriosis, though many never have any pain associated with it.  I happened to be at the other end of the spectrum with severe pain.  I suffered through multiple laparoscopic surgeries over the course of a few years.  I had a complete hysterectomy and about 7 months later, I had to have an oophorectomy.  Since I was very young, my dr. put me on estrogen hormones, but discovered the estrogen caused it to continue growing. Once I stopped taking estrogen the pain subsided and was back to normal.

      It wasn't until I began hearing stories from other women who have also suffered through endo or knew someone who had it (one of my younger sisters is now suffering through it as well), that I started doing more research. While there are some circumstances that are beyond our control, such as being hereditary, there are some things we can do to prevent this condition. It is believed that pesticides that are used on the foods that we consume on a daily basis, may contribute to endometriosis as well as a multitude of other conditions and diseases that are becoming so common.  Also, when we store, heat, and serve foods in plastic, toxic chemicals, including synthetic estrogen, contaminate our food.  Estrogen contributes to the continued growth and spread of endometriosis. Since plastic containers for food storage and microwave cooking is so common in most households, we are literally poisoning our own families. 

     Just recently, we made the decision to start making changes... in the kitchen! I got rid of most of the plastics in the kitchen and our  non-stick cookware. Brandon purchased a set of Wolfgang Puck stainless steel cookware from Sam's Club. We also purchased Corningware and Pyrex for microwaving and storing left overs. This change can take some time if you do not have the funds to purchase all new kitchenware, however, it is an important one.  There are still a few items that I need to replace, like my cake takers and some serving dishes that I use on rare occasions. However, most of the things we use on a daily basis have been changed, with the exception of pantry food storage containers. I'm still trying to find some glass or stainless steel containers to store our sugar, flour, dry pasta, beans, etc... I've also been on the search for a stainless steel lunch kit for my husband (the kids don't have to leave the house to go to school, so there's no need for a lunch kit for them).  So far I've found one that I think would work perfectly.  It's called the Planet Box. When I have the money to purchase this, I will post a product review. 

     There are also those things we purchase from the store that are packaged in plastic.  I've made an attempt to contact the companies that sell some of my favorite products and ask them to switch their packaging from plastics.  Unfortunately, plastics are much cheaper all around for them than the alternatives, so they aren't that willing to change. Maybe if more people would request alternatives to toxic plastics, they would be more willing. 

     If my daughter never has to suffer through endometriosis, I will know that these changes were worth the effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment