Sunday, March 20, 2011

Almond Meal Pancakes

I made pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner tonight. I would have made some turkey bacon also, but didn't realize we were out until I had already started. I thought the pancakes were pretty good/filling, but they were dense and my hubby didn't care for the texture. Almond flour/meal is basically finely ground almonds and has a nutty flavor and slightly gritty texture. Here's the recipe if you want to try it yourself.


Ingredients:
1 cup of almond flour/meal
2 eggs
1/4 cup coconut milk (regular milk or water will do)
2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. ideal sugar substitute (or any sweetener)


I just mixed all of the ingredients and cooked them on my George Foreman grill with the pancake grill plates on medium heat for about 5 minutes. You could cook these in a non-stick pan with a little oil. I didn't have much luck with them in my stainless steel pan so I switched to the George Foreman since it has non-stick coating on the grill plates.  They do not bubble like regular pancakes, just flip them when they are brown on the bottom. I served them with a Tbsp. of local honey drizzled on top.


What I would do differently:


I think if I were to try these again, I may only use half the almond flour and use an all purpose flour for the rest. I would probably add some vanilla extract as well... and maybe some chocolate chips... Did I mention that I'm STILL craving chocolate?

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried flax seeds? we bought some when we heard they were healthy is almost every catagory. but, of course, they will just make my thyroid problem worse, so we have a huge bag of them in the freezer. i was thinking they could help whith this diet thing of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have some flax seed that I will sprinkle on my food, when I remember to do it. I also take a flaxseed oil supplement as party of my vitamin regimen. I haven't tried using flax seed in a recipe yet. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete