Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chicken Cranberry Waldorf Salad (recipe)

Tonight I made a Chicken Cranberry Waldorf Salad for dinner. It came out really good and was pretty easy to make. And it's healthy!



Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks
1 cup of cranberries, chopped
1 cup of grapes, cut in half (I used seedless red grapes)
1 cup of celery, thinly sliced
1 red apple, chopped (I used a Pink Lady)
1/3 cup of raisins
1/4 cup of walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar (I used the Ideal sugar blend)
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
8oz of low-fat vanilla yogurt (I used Stonyfield organic Oikos organic Greek  vanilla yogurt)

Directions:
In a small bowl, blend the yogurt, cinnamon, and sugar. In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and then blend in the yogurt mixture. I served this cold over a mixture of spring greens.


For dessert, I made Mock Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.  This is NOT a healthy dessert recipe. But every now and then it won't hurt to have something fun.  I got the idea from Family Fun .  I thought it would be extra funny, because my husband HATES cheese. I'm ornery like that!



Ingredients:
Pound cake  (I used an angel food cake loaf and it worked just fine)
White frosting
Yellow and Red food coloring

Directions:
Slice the pound cake (or angel food cake loaf) into slices like bread. Toast them in the toaster oven. Then slice the toasted cake into triangles.(the angel food cake slices are very small so I skipped this step)  In a small bowl mix yellow and red food coloring into white frosting until it's the color of cheddar cheese. Spread the frosting on one slice of cake and then gently squish the top piece on to make the frosting ooze out the sides a little just like melted cheese.

I could have made my own frosting, but couldn't find organic coconut oil at our Walmart. So I just purchased a can of white frosting, which means I have a LOT of frosting left, since I didn't have to use much at all. Now I got to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

4 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! It really does look like grilled cheese :)

    ~Amiee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fake grilled cheese, that would be so fun to take to a fellowship dinner. They look so real.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, despite a life-long aversion to mayonnaisey type salads, I was intrigued by yours because I am partial to fruit+vegetable+nut salads. I saw a recipe for homemade vegan soy yogurt the other day so I used that as my base, and instead of chicken I used baked tofu. All in all it was pretty good and quite filling. My only complaint was the amount of work+clean up. I think had I not required a vegan version it wouldn't have been so bad. Otherwise, A+.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lizzie Thank you, I'm so glad you liked it and was able to tweak it to your own specific dietary needs.

    ReplyDelete